Recipe for Vegan Cinnamon Buns.
My friends, let me tell you – these cinnamon rolls are amazing! They’re light and airy, melt-in-your-mouth delicious. I make them whenever I have company over, because people love them, and I’m always asked for the recipe. A batch of these will last about 4 days in an air-tight container, but I bet they will be long gone before that!
Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 Tablespoon Instant Yeast
- 1/4 Cup Coconut Sugar
- 3 Cups Flour (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 Cup Vegan Butter
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1 Cup Almond or Soy Milk, Unsweetened
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm milk and butter (don’t allow it to come to a boil). Once melted, remove from heat and allow to reach room temperature (not cold and not hot).
- Pour the milk & butter mixture into a large bowl, along with 1 tablespoon sugar. Add yeast and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- Add salt and flour, and mix until your arm feels like it’s going to fall out. The mixture will be sticky – this is normal.
- Transfer to a lightly floured surface, and knead into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to sit in a warm space for 1 hour (I put a bowl of water in the microwave and heat for 2 minutes, then remove, and put the dough in there – the warm microwave makes the rough rise faster).
- Grease an 8×8 baking dish. Mix together the cinnamon and sugar. Melt the remaining vegan butter. Set aside.
- Roll out the dough into a large rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Brush with melted butter, then sprinkle on the cinnamon & sugar mixture.
- Start rolling the rough into a large “log”, then cut the rough into 1-2 inch pieces. Add to your greased baking dish and place them on top of your stove while you pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Once the oven is heated, pop the cinnamon rolls inside and bake for about 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- If you want to make a glaze, mix together 1-2 tablespoons milk, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 cup powdered sugar. Drizzle over warm cinnamon rolls and serve immediately.