I went to Target around noon today. The parking lot was packed! Line up was also long, but was moving quickly.
When I walked in to Target, I was impressed by how it was layed out. It looked new (I’m assuming there was a Zellers in that location). I liked the fact that they had a Starbucks inside so you can sit down and enjoy a coffee while you wait for someone to finish their shopping.
They definitely carry nicer clothes than Walmart. They carry Roots! They also had a good selection of shoes, lots of bathing suits, and maternity clothes.
For kids, they had a lot of Carters clothes – a toddlers 3-piece set (shirt, onesie, and shorts) cost $15.99, while a 2-piece set (shorts and shirt) was $8.99. Carters baby sleepers were also $8.99. Kids licensed swimwear was $14.99 for girls and $12.99 for boys. They also carry Osh Kosh and Cherokee lines.
They carry toys, electronics, DVDs (lots of $5 ones), and books (many had a 25% off sticker on them or 40% off Cat in the Hat books). There was an automotive section, a seasonal section with patios and BBQ stuff, home section, beauty, etc. They carry lots of food items, however, they do not carry items typically found in the produce or fresh meat aisles in a grocery store.
Target Canada Prices
I found some prices to be a little higher than Walmart, but some were lower. For instance:
- Baby Mum Mums – $1.94
- Heinz Toddler Snacks – $1.97
- Graduates Yogurt Melts – $3.89 (Yikes!)
- Heinz Ketchup – $3.29
- Goldfish Crackers – $2.99
- Lays Chips – $2.99
- Peek Freans Cookies – $3.49
- Kraft Shredded Cheese (340g) – $6.99
- Sunlight Dish Soap – $1.87
- Lysol Toilet Bowl Cleaner – $2.04
- Crest Complete Toothpaste – $2.39
- Pampers Baby Dry Diapers (Size 3, 112 count) – $27.79
- Pampers Cruisers Diapers (Size 3, 52 count) – $14.79
Target Canada Flyer & Coupon Policy
- There was no flyer. I was told that they didn’t know what items would come in on time so they didn’t produce a flyer.
- They price match. There were signs in the store indicating this. When I asked about their coupon policy, I couldn’t get very clear information. They didn’t have a printed coupon policy to give me.
They said that they accept manufacturer coupons and their own coupons; they weren’t sure about printed internet coupons; they weren’t sure if a coupon could be used on a price-matched item – they basically told me to check the Target Canada website for more information (which doesn’t currently list any information).
They also said that “they do what’s best for the customer”, so I’m interested to find out how that works!
Some Additional Notes
- The staff were very helpful and apologetic, as the store was not yet completely stocked.
- Shopping bags were free (you get 5 cents for every bag of your own that you bring in).
- Self-checkouts were very nice.
I will shop at again once they open up in my city (this was a special trip). They had unique items/brands which I haven’t seen at Walmart. I purchased some toys and office supplies and hopefully I will do some grocery shopping next time. I did not want to attempt any price matching today with the long line ups!
Did you go shopping at Target today?