- Makes about 20 cinnamon twists.
- 2/3 cup of water
- 5-6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- 1/4 cup of butter, in small pieces
- 2 pkg. of active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 cup ofpowdered sugar
- 1 of tablespoon milk
- 1/2 of teaspoon vanilla
1. First we will start with the dough. In a large bowl, combine 2 cups of flour, and the sugar, salt, and yeast.
2. Combine milk, water, and butter, and heat in a small saucepan until warm.
3. Gradually add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, and mix together. Add eggs and enough flour to make a soft but kneadable dough.
4. On a lightly floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. Place dough back in bowl, cover with a wet tea towel, and let rest for 20 minutes.
5. Combine 3/4 cup of sugar and 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, and melt several tablespoons of butter.
6. After 20 minutes, divide dough in half. Roll out each half into a 12 inch square. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle center third of each square with 3 tablespoons of the sugar mixture. Fold one third over center third. Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons of the sugar mixture. Fold remaining third over the two layers. Cut the dough into strips about 1 inch wide. Take hold of each end of strip and twist tightly in opposite directions. Arrange in two greased 9-inch square pans. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours.
7. When ready to bake, heat oven to 350F. Uncover dough and let stand at room temperature 10-20 minutes. Bake 20-25 minutes, or until browned.
8. Combine icing ingredients, and drizzle over top of the twists.