Easy Herb Roasted Turkey
- 1 10-12 pound turkey
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into medium wedges
- 1 medium orange, cut into medium wedges
- 6 whole garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs plus 20 whole sprigs (I use rosemary and sage)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven; preheat to 475F.
2. Remove giblets and neck from turkey cavities. Place the turkey, breast-side up, on a rack in a large roasting pan. Pat dry with paper towels. Mix minced herbs, oil, salt and pepper in a small bowl and rub the mixture all over the turkey (don’t forget to get under the skin!). Place orange, onion, garlic and 10 of the herb sprigs in the cavity. Tie the legs together with twine. Add 3 cups water and the remaining 10 herb sprigs to the pan.
3. Roast the turkey until the skin is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Remove the turkey from the oven. Cover the breast with a double layer of foil. Reduce oven temperature to 350F and continue roasting for 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours more.
4. The turkey is done when a meat thermometer registers 165°F. Let the turkey rest for 20 minutes. Remove string and carve.