Red Velvet Cupcakes
- Makes 24 cupcakes.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 2¼ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp. red food coloring
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- 1½ tsp vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans with paper liners or spray with cooking spray.
2. In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large sized bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla together until combined. Add eggs one at time and then add in the food coloring.
4. Add flour mixture and buttermilk to egg mixture just until combined. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to batter and beat just until combined.
5. Fill cupcake liners two-thirds full. Bake 15 to 18 minutes. Cool pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Gently remove cupcakes from pans; cool.
6. Frost with buttercream or cream cheese frosting.