Oatmeal is a staple around here. We eat it for breakfast almost every day (even in the summer!).
We used to buy the pre-packed single packets all the time, but then realized they were really killing our grocery budget, so we switched to this homemade recipe.
You can add whatever “extra” ingredients to this as you’d like. We really like peanut butter & honey, and I also enjoy it with just a bit of honey and some fresh fruit.
After doing the cost comparison from buying the ingredients in bulk, to buying the pre-packaged Quaker Oats single servings boxes, I determined that not only is making these homemade instant oatmeal packets better for you, but it is cheaper as well.
Pre-Packaged Servings (2 packets – 56g): $0.34
Homemade Servings (59g): $0.19
That’s a savings of about 40%, and you eat oatmeal as much as we do, you will recognize that that is a significant savings.
Homemade Instant Oatmeal Packets
Ingredients: (1 Serving):
– 1/2 Cup Quick Rolled Oats
– 2 Teaspoons Milk Powder
– 1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
– 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
Ingredients: (10 Servings):
– 5 Cups Quick Rolled Oats
– 1/3 Cup Milk Powder
– 2/3 Cup Brown Sugar
– 1 1/2 Tablespoons Cinnamon
1. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
If you are making individual servings, package the ingredients in small zippered bags.
If you are making 10 (or more) servings, mix all ingredients together and store in a storage container.
1. Add your single serving (or 1/2 cup, if you made the mix in bulk) to a bowl and then add 3/4 cup of water or milk and mix together.
2. Microwave for 40-60 seconds (pay attention, because sometimes the oatmeal can bubble over). Mix again.
3. Add whatever else you would like (honey, peanut butter, fruit, cinnamon, nuts, etc.). Mix one last time and then eat and enjoy!