We love these tater tots – they are so much better than any frozen store-bought variety we’ve ever tried (as is the case with most homemade foods!).
These would be great as a side dish, but are also pretty fantastic on their own (with some ketchup, of course).
Homemade Tater Tots
- Makes about 12 tater tots.
- 2 Cups Prepared Mashed Potatoes, Chilled
- 1 Egg, Beaten
- 2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Basil
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 2 Cups Bread Crumbs
- 2 Cups Vegetable Oil
- Ketchup (Optional)
- In a medium bowl, mix mashed potatoes, egg, garlic powder, onion powder, basil and flour together. Make as many tater tots as the mixture allows (around 12).
- Add bread crumbs to a shallow bowl and roll your tater tots. Place on a baking sheet.
- Heat a small pot of vegetable oil until very hot (about 325F).
- Add a few tater tots at a time into the oil and fry for about 2 minutes. Don’t crowd the pot with too many of your tater tots or they won’t cook properly.
- Remove tater tots from oil with a strainer and place them on paper towels to drain. Sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
- Serve with ketchup.