Recipe for Vegan Grilled Cheese With Hummus.
Grilled cheese for vegans? Yes, it is possible – and absolutely delicious! To make this sandwich even more delicious, add some hummus with your cheese. Yum!
Vegan Grilled Cheese With Hummus
- 1/2 Cup Raw Cashews, Unsalted, Soaked Overnight & Then Drained
- 3 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2-3 Tablespoons Water
- 1 Tablespoon Butter (I use Earth’s Balance Spread)
- 4 Pieces Bread
- First, make the cashew cheese. In a food processor or good quality blender, mix the raw cashews, nutritional yeast, salt and water. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- Next, make the hummus. Here is my homemade hummus recipe.
- Heat a fry pan over medium heat. While the pan is warming, spread butter over 1 side of each piece of bread.
- Add 2 pieces of bread to the fry pan at a time. Add a layer of cashew cheese, then hummus to the 2 pieces, then top with the other 2 pieces of bread.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes, or until the bottom of the bread is lightly browned. Flip both sandwiches and toast the other side for another 3-4 minutes.