Making sugar cookies is one of our Christmas traditions and we look forward to it every year. It’s so much fun to sit around as a family and decorate cookies with lots of icing and sprinkles.
Of course, you can make these cookies any time of year. They’re just as delicious on birthdays, Halloween, Easter… really, any time at all!
- Makes 2 dozen cookies.
- 2 1/2 Cups Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 Cups Icing Sugar, Sifted
- 6-8 Tablespoons Milk
- Cream together the sugar and butter in a large bowl. Add vanilla, eggs, baking powder, salt and flour. Mix well.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until it is about 1/2 inch thick (a little thinner than that is okay). Use your cookie cutters to make shapes.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes.
- Allow cookies to cool completely. While they are cooling, you can make your icing by simply mixing together your icing sugar and milk (use enough milk to get the icing to the consistency that you want).