Recipe for Vegan Shortbread.
Since switching to a plant-based diet, I have been trying to switch all of my favourite dishes into ones without any animal products and have had great successes – but one thing I didn’t think would work was shortbread cookies. I mean, they are all about the butter, after all!
After trying a few different recipes, I finally came across one that worked. Hooray! These vegan shortbread squares will make perfect gifts for the holidays (okay, I may sneak a few for myself, too)!
Vegan Shortbread Squares
Servings: 16 Squares
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 8 Tablespoons Butter (I used Earth Balance spread)
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Shortening
- 1 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- Preheat oven to 300F and grease an 8×8 inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, cream together sugar, powdered sugar, butter and vegetable shortening until light & fluffy.
- Add salt, then add flour a bit at a time, mixing with a large spoon after each addition. If needed, add a bit of ice cold water until the dough holds together.
- Press dough into the baking dish and bake for about 45 minutes, or until browned around the edges.
- Remove to a wire rack, sprinkle with 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (optional), and slice into squares once cooled (warm is fine, but don’t slice them while they’re still hot!).