Personal Finance Tips & Tricks
Personal finance is something you need to be aware of and pay special attention to if you want to have an enjoyable and debt-free future. On this page, you will find dozens of personal finance articles that will teach you various different ways for saving and making money.
Personal Finance Tips & Tricks
Save Money During the Holidays
- 6 Ways to Save Money on Christmas Gifts: When is the last time you were able to comfortably afford your Christmas gifts? You don’t have to overspend anymore! This article teaches you simple ways that you can give thoughtful gifts for less money.
- Hand Out Halloween Candy Without Going Broke: Instead of turning off your lights and pretending you aren’t home, make a bunch of kids happy by handing out Halloween candy, without spending a ton of cash on it.
- How to Save Money on Halloween Costumes: Halloween costumes can be expensive, but they’re a necessary part of celebrating the holiday, so you do need them. The good news is that there are many ways to save on your dress-up needs.
- How We Save Money During the Christmas Season: Christmas is my favourite time of the year, but it didn’t used to be. At the end of each season, I would have a mountain of debt to pay – now, I never go into debt at Christmas. This article shares different ways that we save money during the holiday season.
Save Money on Groceries
- How to Save Money on Pet Food: Whether you buy pet food from a grocery store, your vet or a specialty store, let’s face it – pet food is not cheap. Make things easier on your pocketbook by learning a few ways to save money on pet food.
- How to Save Money on Organic Groceries: There are so many benefits to eating organic foods, but many people avoid them because of the assumed high costs. Are you one of these people? Don’t worry, you can eat organic without spending a ton of cash! Here’s how…
- How to Save Money on Produce at the Grocery Store (Video): In this video, I share simple tips for saving money on produce at the grocery store. You can eat delicious, healthy fruits and vegetables very inexpensively. Let me tell you how.
- Save Money at the Grocery Store Without Using Coupons: You don’t want to use coupons? No problem! There is hope for you yet. This list of money saving tricks will have you saving on groceries in no time – without using a single coupon.
- Stretch Your Grocery Budget – 7 Foods That Will Help: If you’re looking for ways to stretch your grocery budget as far as it will go, make sure you always have these 7 foods on hand.
- How I Save Money on Produce: I love fresh produce, but I refuse to pay the ridiculous sky-high prices for it. Instead, here is what I do to save money on this type of food.
- How to Save Money with Menu Planning: Planning weekly menus will save you a ton of cash if you actually follow those plans. Here’s how to start menu planning in a way that is going to save you as much money as possible.
- How to Save Money With Freezer Cooking: Along with menu planning, freezer cooking is a great money saving tool. Buy items on sale, cook up an extra batch or two at dinner time, and save your money! This article will teach you exactly how to get started with freezer cooking. It’s easy, I promise.
Get Out of Debt
- How to Pay off Your Mortgage Early: Don’t think that a mortgage is a lifetime deal. You don’t have to be chained to that debt forever. It is possible to not only pay off your mortgage, but to pay it off much earlier than you expect to.
- Paying off Debt vs. Saving For Emergencies: It’s a very common question, which should you do first – pay off your debt or save for emergencies? My answer may surprise you…
- How to Take Charge of Your Debt: The time to get rid of your debt is right now. You can do it, let me show you how. Here are a bunch of tips for taking charge of your debt.
- 5 Simple Steps to Get out of Debt Faster: Instead of sticking with the “slow and steady wins the race” philosophy, make it a goal to eliminate your debt quickly. Not only will you save a ton of money in interest, but you will be free from the burden of debt. Here are some simple steps to get out of debt fast.
- Get Rid of Debt Once and For All: Not only do you want to get rid of your debt, you want to stop it from ever creeping back into your life. Here’s how to get rid of debt and then lock the door and leave future debt outside.
Save Money on Baby Supplies
- How to Save Money on Diapers: Don’t you hate having to spend money on something that is just going to go straight into the trash? Me too. That’s why I don’t think you should ever pay full price for that kind stuff. Here are a bunch of ways to save money on diapers for your little ones.
- 5 Simple Ways to Save on Baby Stuff: What do you really need for a baby anyway? Are there some things you have to buy new? What can you buy used? All of these questions and more are answered in this article.
- 4 Ways That we Spend Less on Baby Clothes: Babies grow out of clothing so fast that it’s just plain silly to ever pay full retail for them. Instead, save as much money on baby clothes as possible. Here’s how to dress your cutie for pocket change.
- 6 Ways to Save on Child Care in Canada: Child care is a necessary expense for many parents and this can easily become one of the largest bills you have to pay each month. Unless of course, you know how to save money on child care. Do you want to learn how to save on this expense? If so, this article is for you.
- Random Expenses You Should Budget For: Don’t just budget for the regular expenses. Everyone has random expenses that are yearly, every other month, every six months. Make sure you are budgeting for these expenses, too, otherwise, you may just have to whip out your credit card when the time comes to pay for them.
- Saving For a Home – How We Did it: We saved for over 2 years to have 20% down, closing costs, and money for furniture in our new home. It wasn’t easy, but we learned a few things along the way that made this process much quicker than we expected. If you are planning to buy a home of your own soon, this article is a must read.
- 3 Large Expenses to Cut From Your Budget (Video): Do you want to immediately shave a large amount of money from your monthly expenses? You can do that by eliminating these 3 things.
- 3 Small Expenses to Cut From Your Budget (Video): Along with large expenses, cutting out a bunch of smaller expenses will also help with your monthly budget. Here are 3 small expenses that you can eliminate today.
- How to Create a Monthly Budget: Yes, you need a budget. In order to effectively manage your finances, a budget is a very important tool to have. I make the process easy and painless. Read this article to find out how to create a monthly budget.
- Why It’s Important to Pay Yourself First: Think of saving money as a fixed expense, rather than simply assuming “I’ll save whatever money I have left after paying my bills”. You will never have any money left over. This is why I think everyone needs to start paying themselves before they pay anyone else…
Money Saving Tips
- Save Money Using a Smartphone – 10 Tips: A smartphone is not just a phone for you to use for texting and calling people. It can actually be used as a tool for saving you money. Here are 10 tips for getting the most out of your smartphone.
- 10 Things We Don’t Spend Money On: In an effort to save money and live a frugal lifestyle, there are many things that my family refuses to spend money on. What would you add to this list?
- How to Change Your Spending Habits to Save More & Spend Less: Do you want to start saving more money and spending a whole lot less? If so, you really need to focus on changing your spending habits. Learn how by reading this article.
- 4 Ways to Save Money in the New Year: There are a bunch of things you can do to slash your spending. This year, commit to at least one. Here are 4 ideas to get you started.
- How to NOT Spend Money: Do you want to know a very easy way to start saving more money? It’s simple – stop spending money! It’s that easy. In this article, I share a few ways to avoid spending money.
- 5 Easy Ways to Easily Save $50 This Month: Looking for ways to trim the fat in your budget? Here are 5 things you can do (easy things!) that will save you $50 this month.
- 7 Easy Ways That We Save Money: We save our money so many different ways, but not all of those ways are easy. In this article, I focus on the easy ways that our family saves money.
- Build an Emergency Fund You Can Be Proud of: An emergency fund is a crucial part to any solid financial plan, but not everyone knows how to go about building one. With this article, I hope to teach you how to build an emergency fund quicker & easier than you ever thought possible.
- Over 200 Ways to Save Money on Just About Everything: If you’re looking for a ton of different ways to save money, you’ve come to the right place. This is an extensive list of over 200 ways to save money on everything from groceries, to electricity, to transportation, to pets… and everything in between!
Save Money on Everything
- 6 Ways to Slash Your Car Expenses: Transportation costs are often a hefty monthly expense, especially if you have a long work commute. To cut back on the amount you pay for car expenses, try these ideas.
- Saving Money at Thrift Stores – 5 Ways to Keep More Cash in Your Pocket: Thrift stores are a fantastic way to save money, but did you know that you can actually save even more money by doing more than just buying used? Let me teach you how…
- How to Save Money on Your Wedding: You don’t need spend $50,000 on a wedding to have a fantastic day of celebration. Heck, you don’t even need to spend $10,000! My husband and I spent $6,000 on our wedding and a week-long honeymoon, and it was one of the best times of our lives! Read this article for my tips on saving money your wedding costs.
- Canada’s Yearly Sales Cycle: Each year, stores offer discounts on the same items, during the same months. Knowing what sales to expect each month is one of the best ways to save money during the year. In this article, you will find a month-by-month list of items that will be on sale during the months ahead.
- 13 Things You Should Never Pay Full Price For: There are very few things I would ever suggest paying full price for, and there are quite a few items you should never pay full price for. Ever. Here are 13 of the most important items to avoid buying at full price.
- How to Save Money on Clothing: Clothing is something that you need to survive, but you don’t need to pay retail for it. There are so many ways that you can save money on clothing, so don’t get stuck paying what the sticker price is at the store. I have a few money saving tips that will help you out in the clothing department.
- How to Save Money on Transportation: Eliminate those high transportation costs once and for all! Learn how to save money in this area and you will never have to worry about over-spending on transportation again.
- Saving For College Without Breaking the Bank: Do you find saving for your child’s education a struggle? Are you finding it overwhelming to even think about saving up thousands of dollars for each of your children to go to college? Worry not – it is possible to save for college easily (yes, easily!). This article will guide you on your way to substantial college savings.
Money Making Ideas
- 6 Ways to Make Money Online in Canada: There are many money making scams online – don’t get sucked into them. There is no way to get rich quick online. Instead, try these 6 legitimate ways to make money online.
- How to Make Money on Ebay: Ebay can be a great money making tool when it comes to selling online. I know someone that makes a full-time living by buying used and reselling on Ebay. Follow the tips in this article and you, too, can make great money on Ebay.
- How to Sell Your Stuff Online: If you just want to get rid of the excess in your home, Kijiji and Craigslist are great websites to list your sale items on. To get the most money possible for your items, you do need to follow the few steps that I outline in this article.
- How to Make Money From Home: Is it possible to make money from home? Yes! It really is. I have worked from home for over 5 years now and I can’t tell you how great it is to be able to work from the comfort of your own home. Here are a few easy ways that you can start making a living from home, too.
Personal Finance Guides
- Saving Money – Do You Want to Live a More Enjoyable Life?: Saving money is not something you “try” once and that’s it. You need to make saving money part of your everyday life if you want to be able to enjoy your life without the burden of debt. This article explains why you need to start saving money – and how to get started doing so.
- How to Negotiate – The Ultimate Guide: Every good money saver is great at negotiating a fantastic deal. With a bit of practice, negotiation becomes second nature. If you’re new to negotiating, this guide will help.
- Why I Don’t Shop With Cash: For most people, shopping with cash is the way to go to avoid over-spending. For myself, this is not the case. This is why I don’t shop with cash…
- Surviving a Layoff – 9 Tips: Did you just recently get laid-off from work? Are you struggling to pay your bills now that you no longer have a regular income? Here are 9 tips for getting through this tough time.
- How Long to Hold on to Financial Paperwork in Canada: Do you know how long to hold on to tax papers? What about pay stubs? Cable bills? Donation receipts? Find out how long you really need to store your financial paperwork in this article.
- Canada Tax Deductions & Tax Credits to Take Advantage of: When tax time comes around, don’t forget to claim as many tax deductions and tax credits as you can, so that you have a better chance receiving money instead of owing money. Here are the deductions and credits you should be taking advantage of…
- The Difference Between Wants & Need: Do you actually know the difference between a want and a need? Do you really? This article explains the real difference between the two.
- 8 Things You Should Splurge On: Just like there are a bunch of things you should never pay full price for, there are a handful of things that are worth splurging on to save money on the long run. Here are 8 of them.
- Hidden Costs When Buying a Home in Canada: If you’re on the hunt for a home of your own, make sure you know all of the facts before you hand over a huge amount of money. Read this article for a list of hidden costs when buying a home – many first-time home buyers don’t know about most of them.
- 6 Ways to Improve Your Finances: Is damage control in order when it comes to your finances? This article will help. Let’s start improving your finances right now!
Save Money on Entertainment
- How to Enjoy Winter Without Spending Money: Make winter a fun time this year by avoiding spending unnecessary money on indoor entertainment. You CAN enjoy winter without spending a single cent. Here’s how to keep your cash in your pocket and have a good time.
- How to Save Money at Disney World: Disney World really is the most magical place on Earth. However, if you’re not careful, it can also be one of the most expensive places on earth! There is so much to see and do and experience, but if you follow the tips in this article, you can enjoy Disney World on the cheap and still have a fantastic time.