At the beginning of January, I shared our goals for 2012 and promised you all a monthly update so you could check in on the progress we are making.
Although February was not perfect, it was better than the progress we made in January. That counts, right?
1. Go to the cottage at least twice. This is obviously not going to happen until summer time.
2. Enroll Elliott in at least one social activity. Swimming will start in the summer and we are waiting until the end of this year to enroll him in skating.
3. Take more family photos. I took quite a few of Elliott this month, but we didn’t manager to get ANY family photos. I do have one photo of myself and my sister, though! We will have lots of family photos in March when the new baby comes!
4. Do more crafts and cooking with Elliott. Elliott has been helping a bit more in the kitchen. The more I let him help, the less of a mess he makes (imagine that!). In February he helped me bake cookies a few times and I managed to get some cute photos of that. As far as crafts go, we did a few Valentine’s Day crafts, which he really seemed to enjoy.
5. Do more active family activities. We went to the zoo! It involved lots of walking.
6. Include Buddy (our dog) in more family activities. We couldn’t bring him with us to the zoo, so unfortunately February was a fail for this goal.
7. Plan first Christmas at home. We won’t be worrying about this goal until mid-late 2012.
1. Have “date night” at least once every month. We had our February date night!
2. Go away for Valentines Day (last outing before new baby arrives). This was technically part of our February date night. We went away for the night and saw the Harlem Globetrotters, ate cupcakes from an over-priced bakery and slept in the next morning. It was awesome!
3. Schedule alone time once every month, where the other spouse takes care of cooking, cleaning, kids, etc. We did this… the majority of my free day was actually spent writing the Shoppers Optimum Guide!
4. Plan anniversary event. I don’t think that we will be worrying about this one for at least a few more months (our anniversary is late August).
1. Put all extra income into house fund. We saved a good amount in February.
2. Create & stick to a budget for Valentine’s Day & anniversary celebrations. We doubled our Valentine’s Day budget.. but it was worth it.
3. Create & stick to a yearly expenses budget for 2012. So far, so good!
4. Put maximum amount allowed into both of our TFSAs (this will be part of our house fund). We haven’t done this yet.
5. Investigate and understand the Home Buyer’s Plan (HBP). I’m pretty sure we understand this now!
6. Create a will. Not done yet. We have so much other stuff we are doing to prepare for baby’s arrival in a few weeks that I really just don’t think it’s going to happen for awhile. I know it’s important… but it has to wait. I have a hand-written will that will have to do for now.
7. Set up RESP for new baby. We will do this after she is born.
8. Rebalance RESP asset allocation for Elliott. Done!
9. Allocate money to charities. Didn’t happen. No excuses.
1. Drink at least 6 glasses of water every day. I’d say I’m on track with this goal.
2. Make healthy meals at least 5 days per week. I admit it – I quit. I’m not worrying about this one right now.. once the baby is born and I start to tackle losing the baby weight, I will attempt this goal again. If it counts, I have been making the choice to snack on more fruits lately, rather than my usual chocolate fix.
3. Read at least 1 book every month. I barely made it, but I did finish my February book.
4. Stay active. Ha! Active when I’m 8 months pregnant? The most activity I’m able to get these days is walking up and down the stairs. Otherwise, it feels like my body is going to snap in half. I’m leaving this one until I’m tackling the baby weight, as well.
Did you set any goals for 2012? I’d love it if you shared your progress in the comments.