Do you want to work from home? To start bringing in an income without having to take orders from anyone but yourself? If so, today is your lucky day because I am going to list 40 of the best ways to work from home – ways that will actually bring in a decent amount of money.
Working from home is great for stay-at-home mom’s or dad’s looking to make a financial contribution to their household, or – really – for anyone that enjoys working for themselves.
40 Ways to Work From Home
1. Blogging – Keep in mind that it takes years to grow a website until it’s at the point where you can make money blogging, but if blogging is something you enjoy, you might as well make some money while doing it!
3. Freelance Writing – If you love to write, I strongly suggest looking into being a freelance writer. You can write for other bloggers, magazines or newspapers and get paid for your work. This freelance writing site is good place to start looking for jobs.
4. Classes – Are you good at playing the piano? Guitar? What about dog training or cooking? If you have a skill, you can likely teach a class of willing participants and get paid for it (of course, you can also do one-on-one classes). Put up some ads on Kijiji or Craigslist and offer your services!
5. Farmer’s Market – You will have to leave your home for this, occassionally, but in the end – you’re still your own boss and do most of your work at home. You don’t need to sell only food, either, you can also other things at farmer’s markets, such as homemade soaps.
6. Sell on Etsy – Are you crafty? If so – check out Etsy, it’s a great website for creative folks to make a living doing something they love. Selling on Etsy is not easy, but done right, can bring in a considerable income.
7. Sell on Ebay – If you’re really good at spotting bargains at thrift stores and yard sales, this may be the gig for you. Simply buy popular items at a steep discount and then re-sell them on Ebay for a profit. There are many successful people doing this and making a ton of money!
8. Sell on Classifieds (Kijiji, Craigslist) – This is similar to Ebay, except better because you don’t have to worry about shipping the items that you sell.
9. Work for a Call Center – Another easy way to make money from home is to work for a call center doing customer service or other, similar, jobs.
10. Sewing & Alterations – Are you a good seamstress? If so, look into setting up your own sewing & alterations business from your home. Advertise online and in community centres near your home to drum up business.
11. Consulting – Are you an expert in something? Business, marketing, cooking, social media, organizing, fitness, weddings? Almost everyone is an expert in something. Why not sell that expertise to people that NEED what you have to offer?
12. Cooking & Baking - There are always people looking for catering, whether it be for a party or other event, or just for the occasional night they don’t feel like cooking dinner. Offer these services by advertising online and in your local newspaper to find clients (and go above and beyond for your clients – remember, word of mouth is the BEST advertising).
13. Personal Services – Doing odd jobs for people is another easy way to make money. For example, you can pick up groceries for people who don’t like to or cannot shop for themselves, you can become a dog walker and take cute puppies out for walks while their owners are away at work, and the list goes on… what services are needed by the people around you?
14. Virtual Assistant – Working online as a virtual assisant is a fantastic way to earn a considerable amount of money. It’s not easy work though (usually) and the work you do for your clients should never be taken lightly. Read more about becoming a virtual assistant.
15. Mother’s Helper – Similar to babysitting, this is not necessarily a job you can do from the comfort of your home, but still something that you are in charge of. You make your own hours, decide what you will and will not do, and you make the decision about who you want to work for.
16. Transcription – Are you a fast typer? If so, you may want to look into transcription as a way to make money from home. Set upa profile on Elance and start accepting clients that want you to do transcription services for them!
17. Web Design – If you’re a great designer, I strongly suggest looking into web design. It’s a competitive field, so I only suggest this if you are competitive in nature and can do quality work quickly, and for a reasonable cost.
18. Answer Surveys – Answering surveys online is not going to allow you to make a full-time income, and it is certainly not a way to get rich, but it is a very easy way to make a bit of extra money each month. I recommend Survey Lion.
19. Sell Your Photography – If people are constantly telling you that you take great photos, you may be interested in selling those photos for a profit. Here is an awesome article outlining how to make money selling your photos.
20. Computer Repair – Are you good with computers? Can you take one apart and put it back together in record time? If so, kudos to you! I wish I had your talent. Many people are looking for computer technicians to fix their computers when they break down, so why not use that skill of yours and make some money?
21. Handyman Services – Can you swing a hammer without smashing yourself in the hand (not me!)? Can you build things without struggling? If so, becoming a handyman that does odd jobs for people is an easy way to make some extra cash (or a full-time income).
22. House Cleaning – If you enjoy cleaning, you might as well start charging for it! Since your family likely won’t be willing to pay you for cleaning your own home, seek outsiders that want their home cleaned for a fee. Yes, you will have to leave home to do this job, but it’s still your own house cleaning business, so you make your hours and call [most of] the shots.
23. Personal Organizer - Keeping an organized home is something that many people struggle with, so if this is something that you are good at, you can make great money teaching others how to organize their home and their life (whether it be online through courses/consulting, or by physically helping them get organized).
24. Use Fiverr – Have you heard of Fiverr.com? It’s an awesome website that allows you to offer or purchase services for just $5. Since $5 is not a lot of money, many people purchase from Fiverr. You can sell almost any type of service on Fiverr!
25. Event Planning - Do you plan great parties? If so, party/event planning may be something to look into. You can be a party planner and co-ordinate birthday parties, a wedding planner that helps plan a wedding, or any other type of event planning that you are good at.
26. Yard Sales, Flea Markets – Though you likely won’t make a fortune doing this job, hosting regular yard sales and/or participating in flea markets is an easy way to bring in some extra cash.
27. Interior Decorator – You don’t need a degree in interior design to sell this service to others. As long as you are skilled in this field and have people that can vouch for your skills, you can become an interior decorator! Sell your services online or in person.
28. Personal Trainer – Personal trainers make great money from clients that want to become more in shape and/or lose weight, but prefer more one-on-one help on their own, instead of visiting a gym. If you are physically active and enjoy teaching others how to be active, too, becoming a personal trainer might be a good gig for you.
29. Hairstylist – You will likely need a license to do this, but if you’ve got one, or love hairstyling enough to get one, you can become a hairstylist that goes to clients’ homes or has clients that comes to yours to get work done on their hair.
30. Moving Service – If you can handle lots of heavy lifting, consider setting up your own moving company. Try offering a few people (likely friends or relatives) your service for free a few times so you can get some testimonials and referrals under your belt.
31. Bookkeeper – Bookkeeping is an easy job you can do from home if you’re organized. There aren’t many people who enjoy balancing their books, so there is definitely money to be made there!
32. Landscaping/Lawn Service – Mow lawns, tackle weeds, do some gardening, clean up lawns (raking leaves, etc.) and overall, care for someone else’s lawn. This is a tedious, labour-intensive job that lots of people have no interest in doing themselves (like me!), so you can certainly make some money doing these jobs for them.
33. Snow Removal – Just like landscaping and lawn care, I don’t know a whole lot of people that enjoy shoveling snow and know quite a few people that are willing to pay for the convenience of this service. This is especially true for those that live on large properties.
34. Making Gift Baskets – If you’re a creative person, a good work at home idea for you may be to make handmade gift baskets to sell either online or at craft/flea markets. Theme baskets (for example, movie night: popcorn, movie tickets, candy) seem to sell well, but so do gift baskets filled with health & beauty or baby items.
35. Tutoring – If you’re skilled in math, English, or any other subject that people need to learn, you can be a tutor. Online tutoring services can be offered, or you could also visit your student’s home to tutor them.
36. Proofreading – Did you know you can get paid just to read over documents, articles and eBooks and make sure that they are written well? Check grammar, spelling and style and get paid for your work! EditFast is a great place to get started with proofreading.
37. Pet Grooming – Are you good at grooming animals? Why not become a pet groomer? This is a very flexible business idea that almost anyone can do, and it pays well, too!
38. Party Consultant – Check out companies such as Thirty One Gifts, Tupperware and Scentsy for throwing fun home parties where you invite a bunch of people over and introduce them to, and sell, different products. I know a few people who make a great full-time income doing this job!
39. Mystery Shopping – Mystery shopping is such an easy, and fun way to make money. If you love shopping, you will love being a mystery shopper and essentially getting paid to shop!
40. Use YouTube – If you can commit to taking videos on a regular basis – videos that will help your audience – you can make money from home very easily. Please keep in mind that it does take quite awhile to start making money on YouTube (good money, anyway), but it can definitely be worth it!
There are so many different things you can do to work from home. Try out one or more of these ideas and see how they work for you!
If you enjoyed this post, you may enjoy these as well: