The next time you brew a cup of coffee, don’t rush to throw out your used coffee grounds, because there are so many ways that you can use them around your home!
Using leftover coffee grounds for these household tasks is not only a frugal idea, but is a great way to re-use something that most would view as garbage.
10 Surprising Ways to Use Coffee Grounds
- Add a half a cup of coffee grounds to your garbage disposer and turn on for a few seconds, then start running cold water, until the grounds are gone.
- Add a teaspoon of coffee grounds to your facial cleanser for an easy, homemade exfoliating face wash.
- Make your own cellulite wash! Mix about 1/4 cup of coffee grounds with the same amount brown sugar and coconut oil. Massage onto skin and wash off.
- Sprinkle dried coffee grounds around where you find ants (they hate the stuff!).
- Steep coffee grounds until dark and rich, then lightly brush on wood scratches. This will cover them up quite well.
- Remove odors from your hands easily by rubbing them with coffee grounds and washing normally.
- Add coffee grounds to your compost bin/pile and your compost will be fantastic. Worms love coffee, too!
- Mix coffee grounds in with your shampoo to enhance the color of brown hair.
- After bathing your dog, rub coffee grounds into his fur and rinse well (1-2 cups, depending on the size of your dog) to kill fleas and make their fur nice and soft.
- Mix coffee grounds with enough milk to make a paste. Rub it on acne for about 60 seconds, then let it sit for about 15 minutes. Rinse clean.
It’s estimated that Canadians and Americans both drink an average of 3 cups of coffee daily. That’s a lot of coffee grounds that could be put to use again after first being brewed for coffee!
Do you use coffee grounds around your home? Let us know in the comments!