Healthy Eating by Prepping on Sunday!
Something new that I am starting this month is cooking as much as I can on Sunday, for the week ahead. I am hoping that this will help me to eat healthier and also save time in the kitchen.
As much as I love menu planning, that alone was not preventing me from eating unhealthy snacks and meals. Honestly, I was simply too lazy to whip up the healthy foods that were on our menu for the week.
I am hoping this new Sunday food prep idea will help.
Here’s what I made yesterday, in about 3 hours time:
- Cut up carrots, celery and cucumber for snacks
- Cup up strawberries and pineapple for snacks and adding to oatmeal or yogurt
- Homemade hummus for veggies
- Hard-boiled eggs for lunches/snacks
- Healthy peanut butter balls (added a bit of cocoa for some chocolate flavour)
- Garlic & parmesan roasted chickpeas
- Cut up broccoli & cauliflower for dinner sides
- Healthy bran muffins for breakfast and snacks
- Homemade granola bars
- Homemade granola for granola bars and yogurt topping
I felt so accomplished once I finished everything and my husband was very surprised that I cooked/baked for 3 hours straight – but it honestly didn’t feel that long. I was too caught up in how awesome it was going to be to have all of this food made for the week ahead!
As you can see, I mostly focused on snacks this week because snacks are my weakness (where I do the most unhealthy eating). Next week, I am going to also try cooking up some meat and side dishes (quinoa, rice, etc.) to make dinner and lunch prep easier and more healthy, too.
Do you do “sunday prep” or something similar in your home?